April 02, 2008


From Marcie Hascall Clark:

Re: Scientist: “superbugs” resist all drugs, portend pandemic (March 31): Thank you for helping to bring attention to this dangerous problem.

I have been following Acinetobacter baumannii from the military evacuation system since my husband came home from Iraq via the field hospital, Landstuhl, and Walter Reed in July of 2003.

Some Acinetobacter baumannii strains in the US have been completely drug resistant since at least 2005. Every week I receive calls from hospital workers and family members telling me that patients have been sent to nursing homes to die because there is nothing more they can do for them.

The five or so Acinetobacter baumannii strains from the US Military were fast tracked to drug resistance. These could have been contained if they had put as much effort into dealing with them as they did into covering them up.

I truly do not doubt that a pandemic is on it’s way and it makes me so furious.

For more check out my site here and especially the story by Steve Silberman of Wired Magazine, The Invisible Enemy, which is linked there.

Marcie Hascall Clark
www.iraqinfections.org
www.acinetobacterbaumannii.org
www.dbacomp.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home