October 02, 2008


From Warren Harding:

Re: Musical genes may be coming to light (April 30): Your article on genetic research into genes linked to musical talent caught my attention.

I’ve read about other research in this area notably in Oliver Sacks’ book “The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat” wherein, it was noted that Tourettes Syndrome also has a link to musicians and this was noted in a Tourettes sfferer penned “Witty Ticcy Ray” (see here.) I have 5 siblings and of the 6 of us, 3 have a condition related to Tourettes which manifests itself in motor twitches and compulsive behaviour. I’ve been told by psychiatrists that they believe our affliction is a mild form of Tourettes but lacks the severity to label it as such.

Interestingly, the 3 of us with this condition are ALL professional musicians. My sister has put out two albums and my brother and I have both been on stage all of our adult lives.

Warren Harding
New Zealand

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home